Friday, February 20, 2009

Exciting Oscars 2009: Fine Actresses

It's been ages since the Oscars have been this exciting. How often do you get a group of female actresses who all deserve the Golden Boy (well, almost all of them). I've been fortunate enough to see these five films. It is very hard to choose my favourite peformances, but if I really had to choose, I'd give a big statue to Kate Winslet, and three smaller statues to the others as follows:
  1. Main statue - Kate Winslet in The Reader
  2. Second smaller statue - Melissa Leo for Frozen River
  3. Third smaller statue - Meryl Streep for Doubt
  4. Fourth smaller statue - Angelina Jolie for The Changeling

Ann Hathaway is the odd one out in this list. Sorry, just didn't think she was worthy of a nomination. The film itself was frustrating to watch too with the 'doco, in your face' camera style.

So what does all this have to do with Nicole Kidman? Well alot actually. It shows how many fine actresses have been nominated this year. That is why Australia is not in the nominee list. Maybe they'll let Nicole read out the best actress nominees, since she'll be there. Wouldn't that be fitting?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Rachel Getting Married was annoying to watch too. I think Anne hathaway has been nominated though because she acted like she has never acted before. This is a completely different feel for her. I personally think Angelina will get it. I don't know what male will get it though, prob Sean Penn.

Anonymous said...

DOUBT is my choice bec Meryl was incredible, and only bec I haven't seen The Reader yet. I noticed it has been getting tonnes and tonnes of gr8 reviews. Nicole must be peeved!

Anonymous said...

Angelina was good, but every nuance of her performance was geared towards winning an Oscar.

If you watch it again, just watch the over the top way she would close her eyes dramatically - you could almost see her thinking "Oscar!"

Choice said...

Neicey
I think you might be right about Angelina. I doubt she will get it as she is up against tough competition. But she is a big name, so who knows.
Did you see THE READER?